This base is a DK weight 100% wetspun longline 6-ply hemp and has been hand dyed using professional fiber reactive dyes. All available skeins in this base are currently listed on the shop but we will have more skeins available soon in the 3-ply/light fingering weight version of this base.
Approx. skein weight: 48g
Approx. skein yardage: 86 yards
DK weight, 6-ply
Recommended needle size US 5-7
For best results machine wash gentle on cold and tumble dry low, removing while still damp and laying flat to finish drying in order to minimize wrinkles. Although these yarns are vigorously rinsed after dyeing we recommend washing separately the first time you launder, just in case. Softens with repeated washing.
Some information about working with hemp yarn:
- Hemp yarn works up very similarly to linen/flax and patterns that are designed for linen or other cellulose yarns should work well.
- Using grippier needles like wood or bamboo may be helpful.
- Hemp does not have any natural elasticity. Projects that require drape/flowy fabric are good choices.
- When joining skeins use a braided join or knit with the new and old yarn together for a few stitches.
Weave in a longer end than you would with an elastic fiber like wool.
- Wind your yarn into a ball by hand. Center pull balls will collapse in on themselves.
- Your finished item will soften with repeated washing/wear.
- For best results machine wash cold on gentle and tumble dry low.
- Remove from dryer when still damp and lay flat to finish drying in order to minimize wrinkles.
Why give hemp yarn a try?
- Hemp uses far less water and pesticides than conventionally grown cotton.
- Hemp grows faster and yields more per acre than cotton.
- Hemp is significantly stronger than cotton.
- Hemp is breathable while also being naturally bacteria & mildew resistant.
This product comes from a smoke-free household, but not a cat-free one.
The cat however, does not come into direct contact with any of the fiber.
*While I attempt to capture images which accurately represent each product, colors may vary from monitor to monitor.*
As a hand dyed item all skeins are unique.
US orders under 13 ounces are shipped by First Class Mail.
US orders over 13 ounces are shipped by Priority Mail.
International orders are shipped by First Class Mail.
I do not collect VAT for international orders. International customers may be subject to VAT or import charges when their package arrives as required by their tax authority.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my products & happy crafting!